Tuesday, August 14, 2012

 Elder Langford's update August 6, 2012


Ok,  here's the news for the week! love you all :)
Great week! Started off going on an exchange to Hampstead where we did a lot of service and stuff at a thrift store. They gave us free ties, and they were awesome ties! plus the elder I went with had so many that he gave two of his to me as well! Let the tie collecting begin!!! I got probably as close to the coast as I will.  We had a less active member who was ALMOST in site of the coast, so I almost saw it ;) It was the only place that you didn't feel totally engulfed by trees!! Sooo many trees.... everywhere... you really can't see or tell which direction you're in! When you are amazing like me at directions.... that becomes a problem. On that same day, a great miracle occurred! We went to a little home, where a less active lived, knocked, and someone else had moved in. We talked for a second, and they let us into their home! We taught them the whole first lesson and they were so interested and excited to hear more! It was for me, the best lesson I've taught yet! it's amazing how after you've taught the first lesson (restoration) so many times, that you can really make it more personalized for them, and say it better in your own words. For me, that was a big step, and I felt like everything I was saying was simple, made sense, and the spirit was really strong there! A great miracle, and I was sad that I had to leave back to my area and wasn't able to further teach them with Elder Randall!
On the day I got back, oh it was actually the day before ha my bad, day before, we were doing a lot of biking from place to place, and we saw this lady walking on the street. We talked to her and found out that her son had just died of SIDS when he was six months old in late December. It was amazing to see how she'd dealt with it in such a positive way, and had really turned to the Lord for guidance through it. She was really excited about our message, and wanted to hear more and we set up a time to see her! The greatest part about it, was that on the day that we saw her walking, was the first time that she had set foot out of her house since December. To me that was such a miracle, and it only increased my belief that in life there are never coincidences, and if you're really trying your best to plan accordingly, and always have somewhere that you're going and trying you're best, that the Lord will trust you in putting elect souls in your path. It's been incredible to see when people are prepared like that to come unto Christ. We're really excited to teach her!!
Also recently, a couple of our investigators have been 'anti'ed! hard too! with all the other denominations down here, Satan does have a strong presence, and is definitely something that makes the work harder. A couple days ago, we were talking to this guy we just saw, and just got talking with him, and then he just went off about all these things that made the Book of Mormon a false book and the bringer of a confused religion. My companion kinda started to go, and I just had the strongest feeling to not go yet, but to thank him for his honesty and opinions, but also to let him know, that I had a firm testimony of the truth of the Book of Mormon, and that for myself I had found it to be true. It was great to see his demeanor change, and at least respectively say good bye to us. The strongest way to strengthen a testimony, is to bear it. I knew that before the mission, but now actually having the chance to bear it so much on a day to day basis, I know how true that really is, and how it really brings in the spirit to testify of the truth of what you're saying. Teaching people is so useless without the spirit. I've come to find that very quickly out here!
Another interesting story, one of the people we've been teaching, we've actually found out that she was baptized like twelve years ago, and so far the church has no record of it. Interesting situation... ha she's very promising and actually called us to come and meet with her! She'd brought a friend who was really interested at first, but overall decided it wasn't for her, because she preferred witchcraft... I'll be honest that's the first person I came to know that actually does witchcraft! it was a really big deal in her life, and said that she really couldn't give it up right now... that's always a hard thing to give up I guess. We're hoping the best for her though!!
Ah I wish I had more time to type!  One more thing, this week was fast Sunday, and as a missionary, fast Sunday's a little more intense. We had to bike to church, on like a ninety degree day, 500% humidity, four miles to the church, wind going against us, uphill for parts, in suits, and while fasting.... holy cow... few times in my life have I accounted losing that much water through sweat in my life.  It's truly a miracle that we look as good as we do when we wipe our faces off and fix the helmet hair! That's probably one of the bigger miracles.. ha just kidding. anyway, I had the opportunity to bear my testimony in the ward, and the best thing is, I've learned when you don't know what to say, but know that you really should bear your testimony, that's when a little more faith is required. and when we exercise that faith in us, to do hard things, even when we don't know how they'll turn out, God will not leave you to fend for yourself. Just like Nephi going for the plates on his own, and how he ended up killing Laban, getting the plates, and bringing a long Zoram. If we just trust God in all things and have faith, he'll show you where to go, and won't lead you astray!!! I love serving here, and striving to do my best! I'm starting to lead more, and my companion's been great to give me many opportunities to become more self reliant, and gain more experience! Ahh out of time... I love you all soo much, and want you to know that I pray for you every night without fail, and that I'm doint great!! God bless you all, and stay close to him, so he can bless you ever more!!!!


       Love,  Elder Langford

No comments:

Post a Comment